Thursday, September 11, 2008

Books that I'm reading.


I see that a lot of people are blogging about the books that they’re reading lately, so I thought I’d do the same thing. I’m not really a reader. I’ve got books on my bookshelf that were given to me as gifts years ago that I still haven’t read. My dad is the kind of guy who sits in bed at night reading technical books and magazines… And each day that passes I realize I am more and more like him.

For the past year (10 months) I have been reading technical computer books. It all started with a career change back in October of last year. I left HR and decided to pursue IT. I know a lot about computers, but last year I did not know enough to actually be employed in an IT department. So I decided to start studying for an exam called the CompTIA A+ Exam. CompTIA is the Computing Technology Industry Association, and they are a set of standards for IT professionals to certify themselves as knowledgeable techs. So I studied and studied and studied… For 6 weeks. Then I went and took the first test, and failed it. After several weeks of moping around and feeling defeated I decided to start reading a textbook on the subject. After several months I went and re-took the first test (in March) and finally passed it. Then I read the second half of the textbook and went and took the second test in June… and passed.

I received my official documentation in the mail last month, so now I am a certified computer technician. The next test I want to take is my networking exam. With those two certifications, plus the 10 months on the job experience I’ve had here as a computer tech, I should be able to impress somebody somewhere into giving me a job in their corporate IT department.

So, these are the books that I’ve been reading. Again, I’m really not a reader, and I don’t particularly enjoy reading recreationally… But I have genuinely been enjoying these. I’m a third of my way through the networking book. Keep those fingers crossed for me as I prepare for this next exam!

1 comment:

Nancy Lewis said...

Congratulations on receiving that piece of paper that confirms you as a computer geek :)

I think I have my kindergarten diploma around here somewhere...