Sunday, August 10, 2008

I want to build an igloo

Okay, file this one under "weird fantasy" if you want, but I have this obsession with sleeping in the cold. I don't know why. I was in the Army infantry for two years and have slept out in the cold plenty- and it's no fun. But at night I turn the AC way down low, and pile under a series of blankets, and I love it. I would probably sleep with the window open (like my parents do) except for two things:

1) I live in AZ, so no cold air would come in
2) I live on the ground floor of a large apartment complex... too dangerous

...anyhow, I have this theory about insulation. My father is (was) an architect, and I've been told that air is the best insulator. With that in mind, would the human body put out enough body heat to keep the inside of a cardboard box warm if one were, say, out in the arctic? Could one sleep comfortably in said cardboard box, again, if one were out in the freezing weather?

Now, I know the answer is no. I know that because, as I stated earlier, I have slept out in the cold in a big sleeping bag inside a tent and still froze my ass off. So, even though I know it's BS, I still want to test the theory. I actually want to go out into the arctic with a cardboard box, and see if I can survive with that alone. And if one box wouldn’t do it, how many more layers of just cardboard would it take to hold in enough air to insulate a person?

Weird. You'd think I'd like those survivor shows, or "Man vs Wild"... but I don't. Well, I actually did watch one where he was in the arctic- maybe Alaska. But I didn't really get into it.

I’ve been told that we all have a “feel good place” kind of image in our heads when we’re relaxing and getting ready for sleep. Mine is this image of myself all curled up in a cardboard box out in the arctic. Maybe a little weird, maybe a little disturbing, but there you have it. (Other than that I’d like to think that I’m a pretty normal guy)

Along the same lines I am also fascinated by igloos. I’ve seen pictures of them, and I even found this video on You Tube showing how to make one. But I still don’t understand how they work. How do you keep the roof from collapsing in on you while building it? I’ve watched this video… I’ve seen them do it… And I still don’t understand it. I’d like to try it myself sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pia4i5sr0o0

4 comments:

Jacquie said...

When I was a kid, I always wanted to make an "igloo" out of a huge mound of snow but to this day, I still haven't done it. I'll have to watch that YouTube video and maybe try next year. I'm not going to judge you on the box in the arctic. It's a little extreme but I'd rather be cold than hot. You can always add layers but you can only take so many off.

Melissa said...

It's awesome how those men build that igloo -- especially the top. Mine wouldn't make it past the 2nd tier, I'm sure. I'd have to freeze my tail off in the cardboard box!

I wonder when Canada is going to come out with an updated, more PC version of this video. One that shows the Indians as owners of an igloo-construction firm or something. :)

Jacquie said...

Hey Joe, how do you get your links to update when there is a new post like you do on your sidebar? That's pretty neat.

joe said...

August,

It's not accurate. Sometimes it doesn't reflect any updates at all. But to answer your question of how I did it... I just used the Google blogger template to add the feature to my screen.

...Joe