Thursday, February 12, 2009

more geek-speek


Well, finally got my Linux and Windows machines "talking" to each other. There is a program called Samba (samba.org) that assists with inter-OS communications. I had been reading about it, but didn't fully understand it. I thought that I had to load Samba onto my two Windows machines so that they would see my Linux machine, but I had it backwards. I helpful guy on the Launchpad Help Forums page (launchpad.net) explained to me how it really works. Samba is actually a mask that Linux wears so that Windows machines think it's just another Windows machine.

I installed Samba on my Linux machine and had instant communication. Success!

Also, I went ahead and scheduled my Network + exam for Monday, February 23rd. So now I'm not just studying, I'm working toward a concrete goal of being ready to test in 10 days. Wish me luck!

No comments: