Thursday, January 15, 2009

Next rung up on the ladder.


As many of you know last year I studied for, and eventually passed, my CompTIA A+ Certification (see Sept 11th blog: Books that I'm reading.). This was part 1 of a two-part plan: get certified, find a job in an IT department. I accomplished them both.


The next next plan is to get my Networking certification. I read a book last year called "Teach Yourself Networking in 24 Hours" by Joe Habraken and Matt Hayden. It's a 24 chapter book, that you are supposed to be able to read one in an hour (one chapter per hour). I finished that book, and then bought some study materials in November.... A new textbook (650+ pages!!), and 12 hours worth of lectures on DVD by Mike Meyers (no not the comedian, or the serial killer... well, can we be sure about the last one?). Anyway, I've sat through all 12 hours of the lectures, and watched portions of them again. Then I finished reading that massive textbook, and am now starting to study for the exam, which I plan to take next month.
Thanks to all my friends (geeks and non-geeks) who helped me study last year: Melissa, Terri, Ahmari, and Mike. I've already started calling them all back for another round of cramming!


Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Nancy Lewis said...

Wow. Sounds heavy.

Melissa said...

Ya see, what you need here is your classic Token Ring star bus hub. If you're out, just ask Sally, Bill or Travis. They may not know what you're talking about, but hey, are we surprised?

:)