Sunday, October 19, 2008

Another Weekend Update


Well, for a guy who complains to Melissa (http://mellylifeliver.blogspot.com/) as much as I do about not posting more often, I guess I should apologize for not putting anything new up myself last week.

For those of you who missed it, Sarah Palin was on Saturday Night Live last night. I was excited to see it, and we were talking about it at work yesterday afternoon. One of the things I mentioned in the discussion was, wouldn't it be funny if they did a 30 Rock spoof, with her playing the Tina Fey role? Well, they did not do that, but they alluded to it. Sarah asked Lorne, "Hey, why didn't we do that 30 Rock sketch I wrote?" And Lorne replied, "Honestly, Sarah, not enough people know about that show." It was a pretty funny sketch, and if you missed it you should definitely check it out on nbc.com or utube (I would put a link here, but I'm at work, and videos are not accessible.... sorry!).

The big highlight of my week last week was Friday, I had two job interviews scheduled. The first one was for an outfit that I definitely don't want to work for. I went to that one just as a safety net in case I get fired (or angry enough one day to just walk out- which would be stupid, I know, but I've done it in the past).

The second one, though, I was very interested in. It was an IT Coordinator position, and the job description was exactly what I was looking for. I wrote up a nice cover letter, tweaked my resume, and turned the packet in. They contacted me Wednesday and said that they were "definitely interested" in having me come in for an interview on Friday. I went there very excited and psyched-up to put my best foot forward. But the interview was not at all what I had expected. I'm not sure what the hiring manager was looking for, exactly, but it seemed to be a jack-of-all-trades type project manager. I was caught off guard, and found myself answering a whole lot of non-techie type questions.

Now, the obvious question is: Do I still want the job? Yes. For two reasons. First, I hate my present job at this call center. And second, it would be a step up and the opportunity to see a more expanded version of the IT world.

But mostly it’s because I hate my present job at this call center.

I think I could probably handle the job, but what really frustrated me was that I went in there unprepared to answer her questions. I have no idea what she thought of me as a candidate, but she did keep me in there for over an hour.

What else… Oh, I ate healthy all last week and dropped 6 pounds. Several weeks back I passed the 200lb mark, and two weeks ago I topped out at 210 (for reference, the heaviest I have ever weighed was 218, and that was 1.5 years ago just before joining Weight Watchers). I paid attention to my food intake all week, and on Saturday I stepped on the scale at 204. I was very pleased with the results. If I keep that up, and throw in another hike or two, I might end up dropping another 15+ pounds by Thanksgiving.

Nothing else to report, just been trudging the road. Thanks to all my friends for encouragement along the way. Later!
PS- Hey Jodie, if Melissa continues with this trend of not posting, you feel free to make this blog right here your daily read! I would say the same thing to Glenda, except that Glenda has never posted here (not even after I wished her a happy birthday). So for now it's just Jodie that I'm stealing from Life Liver. LOL

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Love the post, Joe. Despite the chastiment and you trying to steal my readers! And about my mom -- the Internet is broken at her house (still), so don't be offended by the lack of posts. :)

The bank interview sounds like quite the page-turner. I look forward to seeing how that turns out and hope that you can soon escape your dreaded job. But I am very proud of you for sticking with it. It shows a lot of growth and self-discipline