Sunday, August 17, 2008

Letting the days go by...


I used to get up in the morning, shave and put a tie on and drive up the road to my office where I would sit and push papers and make $16,000.00 more than I make now. I never worked weekends. I never worked overtime. i took breaks whenever I wanted to. I walked around and chatted with co-workers while holding a cup of coffee... Everything was very nice (no comments, yet, Melissa!).

Now, I get up 5, sometimes 6 days a week (including weekends) and come in to a call center where I work 10 hour days tethered to a phone. I work with barely more than kids, most in their early twenties, wearing ripped jeans and t-shirts, with pierced lips and faces, colored hair, and inappropriate images on their desktops. I get phone call after phone call from angry people who just want to argue with me. The tools that I am supplied with to assist these "customers" in alleviating their problems are always broken themselves.

It is a constant state of frustration for me. What happened? Like the Talking Heads say, "I may ask myself, well, how did I get here?"

(Okay, Melissa, now you may comment about how miserable I actually was at my last job).

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I wasn't going to say a word. :)

But you're working your plan, so it won't be too much longer. (great picture, by the way)

joe said...

Define "much longer," because I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

Every now and then Brad (the guy across from me) loses it out of frustration... That makes me smile. He's done it a few times today. Today is my "Friday" and he's in the middle of a 10-day work week (poor bastard).

Speaking of co-workers I see (from your blog) that Jodie's back. Tell her to join the "keep Joe entertained at work club" that your mom seems to refuse to join.

;-)

Melissa said...

Nah, Jodie's not back yet. She's still in jolly ol' England for a few more days. Which makes me feel honored that she'd take time from her vacation to write to me. But I'll let her know. Can't promise she'll join, but I'll tell her. :)

Jacquie said...

So.... what's your dream and what are you doing to pursue it?

joe said...

Wow, August... that's a short enough question with a long answer! I may have to take some time and then e-mail you that one! LOL ...Joe