Friday, August 15, 2008

A few random thoughts…


First of all, how about a shout out to Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson for winning the gold and silver, respectively, last night in the women’s gymnastics all-around competition! Good job girls… Now what?

I got my truck back. The damage was $565.00. It was a bad alternator, and some other stuff they saw under the hood when they popped it. $565.00 is not so bad. I was able to pay it. But that was a big chunk out of my checking account that I hadn’t anticipated spending! My truck also has no air conditioning. It broke last summer and I’ve been 13 months without AC… Living in Arizona! Freakin’ hot. I really want my AC back, but I was quoted $1,000.00 last year and so I put it off. I can’t afford it this year either. And the door handle on the driver’s side just broke, too! LOL I have to actually roll down the window to let myself out of the truck. I’m wondering if, after 10 years and 131,000 miles, maybe I should be shopping for a new vehicle? I love my truck… I LOVE my truck! But I have a great big V8 in there that guzzles gas, and I’m only getting 14 mpg. With gas at $4.00 a gallon that’s another thing on my mind. I don’t want to get rid of my truck… I love my truck (did I mention that I LOVE my truck?), but I used to love my teddy bear as a kid, too, and yet the time came when I had to give that up, as well.

Maybe I will start “looking.” I’m thinking it would make a whole lot more sense to use $1,000.00 toward a down payment on a new vehicle with a working AC and a smaller (more fuel-efficient) engine, that fix this one. Especially if other random things are starting to break on it more frequently.

I am sad.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't believe your truck only gets 14 mpg! As much as you love your truck, I think you should get something new (or at least new to you).

joe said...

suggestions?

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

OK, that was secretly me. I had a typo and just couldn't let it stand. Yes, I'm a nerd.

What about a Ford Focus? Maybe a Civic? (Although Hondas hold their value and even the used ones aren't that cheap.) I loved my Sentra, so I'd recommend that, too. And Kristin is fond of her Corolla. The best part is they all get at least 24 mpg city and above 33 highway!

But would having a smaller car drive you insane?

joe said...

...I'm still laughing about that tech puppy.

I have ethical issues (that I may set aside) about buying a Japanese car. But to answer your question, yes I was thinking about possibly getting a small Toyota or Honda.

Would a small car drive me crazy? Possibly... But I think the feeling of a working air conditioner might alleviate that.