Monday, February 16, 2009

The Omega Man (1971)


Okay, you know how one little reference can get you thinking? For years?

Back in 1983 Bob and Doug McKenzie (Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas of SCTV fame) took the success of their late night skit The Great White North to the big screen with Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob and Doug McKenzie. It is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Anyway, there is a line in the opening that goes, "I was kinda like a one man force, like Charleton Heston in Omega Man. Did'ja see it? It was beauty." Well, I never did see Omega Man (excuse me, THE Omega Man as I've learned it is actually titled), and in fact never gave it much thought after that, except when referencing that amusing line.

In 2007 the film I Am Legend with Will Smith was released. I never did go see it in theaters. It just didn't seem like a flick I'd be into. But then somebody mentioned that it was a zombie movie, and I really dig zombie movies, so last year I rented it with a friend.

A few weeks ago another friend of mine mentioned in passing that I Am Legend was a remake of The Omega Man. This same friend is a pot smoking conspiracy theorist who says all kinds of wacky things, so I usually take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Anyhow, being fascinated with remakes, as I am, I eventually (tonight) decided to see for myself.

First of all, yes, it is. And apparently lots of other people are already aware of it. When I did a google image search to find a pic to go with this post I immediately encountered several other blogs and web sites dedicated to both films. Once again, seems like I was among the last to figure it out. That's okay, I don't mind being the slow guy.

Anyway, since there are several web sites already dedicated to the discussion, and since I literally just finished watching it for the first time about 15 minutes ago (and it usually takes several viewings before a movie really sinks in with me), I will avoid a deep analysis of the film at this time. I will say, however, that I liked it. So we can chalk up another 1970s Charleton Heston film to my list of favorites (including Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green).

Like Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green this was another view of what people in the past (the 1970s) thought the future would look like. It is yet another sci-fi epic from Heston, which makes me wonder what kind of actor did I really think Charleton Heston was, anyway? Growing up I knew he was famous for his portrayal of Moses, and Ben Hur, but I never saw those movies... Not true, I actually saw The Ten Commandments long ago as a kid. But all I remember was his famous descent down off the mountain with the tablets. The rest of the movie never stuck with me. But aside from that, Charleton Heston (to me anyway) was always the NRA spokesman and the guy who did all of those background narrations of The Bible for those books on tape series. I always had in mind that he was some kind of ultra right wing conservative old man, not a sci-fi action hero. (quick note: not that there's anything wrong with being an ultra right-wing conservative, but honestly could you see Rush Limbaugh as a sci-fi action hero?)

A quick glance at imdb shows that Heston is accredited with well over 100 films dating all the way back to 1950! So, I'm not going to analyse The Omega Man, or even attempt a half-assed movie review (not yet, anyway), but what I am saying is that I have recently discovered that I really dig Charlton Heston! I look forward to watching many of his other films now that I've discovered I really like him.

Anyone who has seen The Omega Man, and/or any other Heston film, and would like to make comment I'd love to hear them.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

"I was the last one left after the nuclear holocaust, eh. The whole world had been destroyed, like U.S. blew up Russia and Russia blew up U.S.

"Fortunately, I had been off-world at the time. There wasn't much to do. All the bowling alleys had been wrecked. So's I spent most of my time looking for beer."

joe said...

LOL!! Yes!

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Heston flicks: you oughta try checking out a little number called "The Secret of the Incas," or, as it was known among my buddies in college, The Quest For The Golden Hubcap. Pure Hollywood hokum, and Heston does the whole thing with a smirk on his face.

Oh, and now that you've seen both The Omega Man and I Am Legend The Movie, you oughta take the next step and get ahold of the book-- and don't expect it to be ANYTHING like EITHER movie.

Nancy Lewis said...

Sorry I missed it - I love remakes, too. I always thought it would be fun to watch both an original & the remake in one night. Any movie would do - The Ring, Texas Chainsaw, Ocean's 11. Do I hear movie night at Joe's?