Thursday, February 26, 2009

Get back on that horse!


I took, and passed, my CompTIA Network + certification exam on Monday. You might think that I was immediately elated, but that was not the case. I spent 6 months preparing for it, and walked into the testing facility with a certain confidence. From the very first question, though (and there were 90 of them) I felt like I was in over my head. I was quite surprised at how many of the questions threw me. I barely passed the thing and, in fact, had myself convinced halfway through that I had failed it. At the end when the screen came up with the message "Congratulations! You passed." I was very surprised.


I think I know what happened. That test is updated every two years (or so, depending on what CompTIA feels like doing). When I bought my study material it was based on the 2005 test standards, which I was assured was the most up-to-date material. When I scheduled the test, however, I noticed that it was the 2007 version. I didn't worry too much about that though because I had been assured by the study material people that I did have the latest study guides. I even researched the test on the CompTIA website. They confirmed that the test was updated every few years, but that if it was between updated years that candidates should study the last updated material (again, the 2005 version).


I don't know if CompTIA came out with a new revision (the 2007 revision) between when I bought the material, and when I tested. But that seems unlikely, because I bought the material in November 2008, and the latest news then was that the test was going to be updated again in June 2009).


Bottom line- I felt overwhelmed by that test. And I'm sure that I had not studied the latest material. So, while I should have been thrilled for passing the thing, I actually walked out of the testing center angry because my score was so low.


Now, I know myself pretty well, and I know that when I am angry it is best to keep my mouth shut and deal with the situation later when I have calmed down (it took me a looooong time to learn that lesson, but I did finally learn it). Anyway, as a result I have not called the company (yet) that sold me the study guides. I'm still a little too upset to do it just yet, but I will probably call them next week. I want to make sure it never happens again. 6 months is a lot of time to put into studying for a test, and then almost fail it.


I passed, though, and got my certification. Now today (after a few days of ignoring it) I started posting my resume again. It's been a tough few months, not just for me but the whole country, with the banks crashing and the unemployment rate shooting up so high. I feel like I need to be telling myself, "Get back on that horse!"


Glad I passed. Glad I have the opportunities that I do. Gratitude.

1 comment: