Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this...



"...I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over."


It's getting late, and I'm tired, so this will be quick. My dad sent me an "old" computer that he said didn't work anymore so I could play around with it. It arrived Friday, and I quickly assessed that it had a bad power supply, which I fixed tonight be installing a new one. It powered up fine, but then I could not get the OS (Windows XP) to load, which was frustrating- but not the end of the world because my plan was to load Linux on this machine, anyway. I spent several hours on the phone with a couple of nerd buddies of mine, and downloaded a copy of Linux (PC Linux OS 2007) which I then burned to disc as an .iso file (bootable operating system disc). But then I could not get the computer to boot from my optical drive, so it didn't work.


My plan for tonight was to: 1) fix the power supply, 2) load Linux. Well, had I known the other problems that this machine had my plan would have been: 1) fix the power supply, 2) get Windows to load, 3) install Linux. Having said that, I was 34% successful in my goals tonight.


"You're gonna need a bigger boat." Going to bed.

2 comments:

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I'm sorry, Dave. I can't let you do that.

Melissa said...

Poor computer looks very vulnerable, its guts all strewn about like that.