Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to the top. Again.


Climbed back up Camelback Mountain again yesterday. This time I went with my buddy, Chris, and we made pretty good time. I shaved about 15 minutes off the Sep 23 climb up with Nancy... All my fault, by the way, on that one because Nancy stopped and waited for me several times on that climb. So, thanks again, Nancy, you are a great climbing partner.


Still had to stop for plenty of rest breaks this time too, but made it up there eventually.


Reality check? Sitting at the top exhausted and breathing heavy I glanced over to my right and saw this little 6 year old girl sitting there wearing a pair of pink Converse Chucks and eating a bag of saltines as if the whole thing had been effortless to her. I felt ashamed and "insulted."


So I threw her over the edge.


No, but seriously the climb felt great. On the way back down we passed the group of little girls and told them they rocked. To which they replied, "You guys rock!" which made our day.


I'm already planning to go again. Who wants to go?

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi Joe. Congratulations on getting back to the top of Camelback Mountain! Thanks for the invite, I wish I could join you on Friday. Another time soon...let me know if you ever want to go earlier. :P ttyl

Jacquie said...

I love the connection you get with people participating in the same activity as you. It's why I love doing races so much. People are so supportive and cool! Great job Joe!

Nancy Lewis said...

Congratulations on your second ascent!

Vard said...

hey joe,

good job on making it up camelback again!

i have all the pictures from my arizona trip--including the ones of you and i--on my facebook profile (i know you weren't too keen on facebook). here's a link, you should just be able to save the ones you want to your computer:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=42852&id=583401303

-vard