Thursday, October 23, 2008

And then, one day... they were gone.


So yesterday was one of my two days off each week (Wednesdays and Fridays) and I spent most of the morning in bed. I half-slept through the noise of tractors and construction crews which have been congregating outside my bedroom window for two months now. Aside from the fact that they start at 6:00am, and that they throw tools against the outside wall of the building (my bedroom wall), they also do something to the lines in the building which shut off my AC all day. So I always wake up “hot” on those mornings that I like to sleep in. Very uncomfortable.

This is just the latest in a series of complaints I have had this summer about construction workers letting themselves into my apartment, and then leaving the door unlocked. The water being shut off. A mess of blockades out in the parking lot making it near impossible for friends to stop by for a visit. The list goes on.

Anyway, getting back to yesterday morning… I finally got up and went out to see some friends and get errands done. I came back in the afternoon, parked the truck (far from my apartment because of the construction), and went in to take a nap knowing I would be going back out again later that evening. I woke back up at 6:00pm and headed out to meet friends again. I walked around several buildings to get to where I had left the truck, and when I went to pull out I noticed that the tractors were gone. The huge piles of dirt were gone. The barricades were gone.

It was all back to normal.

I guess the construction is over. (Actually, I know more construction is coming because they are putting in covered parking next month- but it looks like the major construction is over.) I have been very upset all summer, and have been contemplating moving in January if things didn’t improve.

Also worth mentioning… I have asked at work to be moved to a different team several times now. I got word from the director on Tuesday that he’s going to be reassigning me in November.

Could this be the start of a new era? Have I ridden out the storm? Or is this just the tide ebbing before the tsunami hits?

No comments: